TILED ROOFS ARE BEAUTIFUL
Homes have been covered with tiles for thousands and thousands of years, and many tiled roofs intact today have existed for centuries. This fact can be credited to their ability to last in the face of the elements, as well as the easy availability of materials such as clay.
WHY CHOOSE A TILE ROOF?
Tiles remain one of the most popular forms of roofing material in developed countries today, and with good reason. When it comes to durability and long-lasting, tile roofing is an excellent choice.
Tile is a very resilient material and is able to withstand some of the harshest elements such as hail, wind, and fire.
Tile is also one of the most versatile materials for roofing and tile roofs can last for several decades, even up to eighty years without needing replacement, if properly maintained.
If you’re thinking about re-roofing your house and wonder if tiles may be a better choice, consider the many advantages of tile roofs over conventional ones.
The tiles themselves can be made from a range of materials including clay, concrete, slate, fiberglass and metal, but clay and concrete are the most widely used. We specialise in clay tile roofs and you can find out more about clay tile roofs here.
TYPES OF TILE ROOFING
Roofing tiles are available in clay, metal or concrete and each have their own different looks and benefits.
We will be able to suggest the correct tile for your needs.
BENEFITS OF TILE ROOFS
If installed correctly, by an experienced professional, tile roofs can last for a very long time with little maintenance required. The benefits of tile roof systems are:
- Durability – Roofing tiles, when fired and glazed, are exceptionally waterproof. Furthermore, they are completely resistant to rot, mould, pests and sunlight. In fact, roofing tiles tend to get sturdier over the years, becoming tempered by the elements. Tile will even stand up to windy conditions better than standard shingles because of their weight and structure.
- Variety – Roof tiles come in a large variety of different sizes, shapes and colours. Individual colour and style selections can create an impression or make a statement that will help a roof stand out, or alternatively blend in with the existing landscape.
- Fire Resistant – Clay is a non-combustible material and therefore provide excellent protection against fires. Tile roofs can actually increase the safety of your home. Should a fire ever erupt, the roof is more likely to remain intact without flimsy shingles to feed the flames. This can reduce damage to the house and minimise the risk of a fatal roof collapse.
- Energy Efficient – Heat from the sun is an important consideration when choosing a roofing material. Regular shingles soak up heat, which can make your house hotter inside. Glazed tiles will reflect the sun away during the day, potentially reducing your home cooling bill. After sundown, the accumulated heat stored in the tiles can help keep your home warmer, especially in the winter.
- Environmental impact – Roof tiles are made with naturally occurring clay which can be recycled into new clay tiles and bricks.
TILE ROOF MAINTENANCE
All roof systems require a degree of regular maintenance. While tile roofs don’t need as much maintenance as an asphalt shingles roof, they can still accumulate moss which will need to be removed and other things like the gutters, flashings and vents need to be monitored.
The one drawback to tiles is their weight; they are very heavy, and require certain structural standards for the frame and decking of the roof.
As a professional contracting company, we try to dissuade homeowners from performing their own repairs, especially on a tile roof. Unlike asphalt shingles, the surfaces of natural stone and clay tiles can become very slippery, and as such, very dangerous if you don’t have the proper equipment or training.
Additionally, walking on a tile system must be done with great care, because any missteps can lead to further damages that will need to be repaired.
ALBA ROOFING OFFER TILE RESTORATION
We don’t only install tile roofs but also do restoration of tile roofs as well. All tiles are taken off the roof, watertight under-lay is applied on roof decking, and all flashing is repaired. The same tiles are installed back on the roof and any damaged pieces are replaced.
Re-bedding & Re-pointing: Alba Roofing only re-bed’s to the Australian Standard AZ2050 and re-points with Flexi-point adhesive. Flexi-point does not crack with expose to the sun like mortar; it also expands and contracts with the movement of the roof.
A tile roof will save you money over time, because their low maintenance and ability to handle a wide range of weather conditions prevents the need for frequent repair and replacement.
Monday – Friday: 8am – 5pm
Saturdays by appointment